You want to get some kind of regular exercise – whether it’s for weight loss, general fitness, strengthening your bones, increasing your energy levels, improving your mood and brain health, or reducing the risk of chronic disease – but what can you do when hitting the gym isn’t an option? Here are 9 easily do-able fitness tips:
- Take a lunchtime walk. If time permits, take a few minutes of your lunch break to power walk around the block. Not only are you doing your body a favour, but your mind will be more alert as well.
- Play in the park. Join your kids on the playground for some after-school fun, or walk the perimeter of the park while they burn off some of their extra energy.
- No lazy line-up. When waiting in line, give your core a mini workout by flexing your abs for 10 seconds at a time. Repeat until you reach the front of the line.
- Take the long way. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. Park on the far edge of the parking lot. If you take the bus, get off at the stop before and walk the extra distance. The steps add up.
- Get personal. Instead of firing off an email to your co-worker, walk over to their office and speak with them in person. You’ll get your answer much quicker and burn a few calories while you’re at it.
- Ditch the shopping cart. If your grocery list is on the smaller side, grab a basket or two and kill two birds with one stone by getting your shopping done and giving your biceps some love.
- Give me five. Before you get started with your morning routine, take 5 minutes to do 50 crunches and 50 push-ups on the bedroom floor. It’ll get your blood pumping and start your day off right.
- Love your dog. If you’re in the habit of taking your furry friend for a walk, add 10 minutes to your usual route. Not only will Fido love the extra exercise, but your body will thank you too.
- Be a weekend warrior. Weekends are often consumed with household chores. Turn them into a workout. Mowing the lawn, washing the car, tidying the house can all elevate the heart rate… so plug in the headphones and get cleaning!