Strengthen your defences, deliciously.
Kick that cold or flu to the curb with this vitamin and mineral-rich vegetarian broth.
- 1 ounce of dry reishi mushroom
- 1 ounce of dry shiitake mushroom
- 4 Tbsp of dry, chopped sea vegetables(i.e. seaweeds – any kind)
- 1 ounce of astragalus bark
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger root
- 4 Tbsp of organic barley
- 4 Tbsp of organic brown rice
- 2 cups of chopped, organic vegetables of choice
- Soak mushrooms, sea vegetables, astragalus and ginger root in water. Add enough water to cover plus an extra inch of water on top.
- When the mushrooms are soft, cut into pieces. Put aside sea vegetables
Note: Save the soaking water, but discard the astragalus and ginger.
- Pour 8 cups of fresh water into a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the soaking water and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients including the chopped mushrooms and sea vegetables to the pot and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings.