Strengthen your defences, deliciously.
This recipe is a classic example of using food as your medicine. It’s something that can be brewed up if you’re feeling run down, or as a between-meal boost for your digestive and immune system, or just because it tastes great.
The healing power of broths has long been recognized. Thicker than a stock, broths are filled with nutrients, packed with rich flavors, and are an exceptionally rich liquid that carries the essence of vitally nutritious vegetables, herbs, and spices in a way that is easy for the body to digest, assimilate, and utilize.
This incredibly healing broth can be made in advance and stored in the fridge. Simply heat up only what you need and place in a thermal mug for warm sipping throughout the day. A delicious combination of immune supportive ingredients, this vitamin- and mineral-rich vegetarian broth is a nourishing, healing brew that will kick that cold or flu to the curb.
- 1 ounce of dry reishi mushroom
- 1 ounce of dry shiitake mushroom
- 4 Tbsp of dry, chopped sea vegetables (i.e. seaweeds – any kind)
- 1 ounce of astragalus bark
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger root
- 4 Tbsp of organic barley
- 4 Tbsp of organic brown rice
- 2 cups of chopped, organic vegetables of choice
- Soak mushrooms, sea vegetables, astragalus and ginger root in water. Add enough water to cover plus an extra inch of water on top.
- When the mushrooms are soft, cut into pieces. Put aside sea vegetables
Note: Save the soaking water, but discard the astragalus and ginger.
- Pour 8 cups of fresh water into a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the soaking water and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients including the chopped mushrooms and sea vegetables to the pot and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings.